In order to expand our approach to solving Central Alabama’s biggest problems, the Bold Goals Coalition launched its first Policy Agenda in January. Building on the Coalition’s Collective Impact strategy, we are bringing together nonprofit organizations, businesses, philanthropic groups and policy makers to identify and advance policy changes that align with our priority areas of Hunger Relief, Mental Health, Early Education, Student Academic Support, Healthcare and Transportation.
Thanks to the leadership of organizations such as the Alabama School Readiness Alliance, VOICES for Alabama’s Children, A+ Education Partnership, Alabama Arise, Jefferson County Department of Health and the American Heart Association, the recent Alabama Legislative Session included meaningful policy changes and state investments in key issue areas for the Coalition, including:
- A $22.5 million increase in funding for First Class Pre-K.
- A $17.8 million investment in quality childcare.
- Passage of a bill to make it legal to use and distribute test trips that detect fentanyl, which will help reduce overdose events.
- A $1.5 million investment in a new grant program to pilot partnerships that expand community-based summer and afterschool programs.
- Funding to support a mental health coordinator in every school district in the state.
- Expansion of Medicaid post-partum coverage.
As a Coalition, we will continue working toward the long-term, community-wide improvements we have been focused on since 2014, and supporting policy solutions at the local, state and national levels that move us closer to reaching those goals.
If you would like to learn more or get involved in our policy work, please contact Ryan Parker at RParker@uwca.org.
The Bold Goals Coalition is 200 organizations solving big community problems by aligning partners, resources and agendas.